Group of 29 pieces sterling and coin silver flatware marked for Savannah, GA makers and retailers H.P. Horton, Horton & Rikeman, and Samuel P. Hamilton. 1st grouping (17 pcs): 2 tablespoons and 6 dessert spoons marked H.P HORTON (incuse, some with additional small diamond mark); 3 teaspoons marked H.P. HORTON (incuse) with additional mark for Wood & Hughes, New York; and 6 dessert spoons marked HORTON & RIKEMAN in rectangles. 21.86 total troy ounces for 17 pieces. Note: H.P. Horton worked in Savannah c. 1850 on his own and in partnership with a Mr. Rikeman circa 1850-1856. 2nd grouping (12 pcs): 6 tablespoons and 6 forks, all with incuse marks S.P. HAMILTON along with marks for Gorham and "sterling", monogrammed RWH. 21.9 total troy ounces for 12 pieces. Note: Samuel P. Hamilton served on the staff of CSA Col. Lawton of the Georgia Battalion. According to family genealogy and the book "Historical Record of the City of Savannah" (F.D. Lee and J.L. Agnew, 1869), he operated a jewelry store at the corner of Congress, Whitaker & St. Julian Streets in Savannah from 1862-1889. Ranging in size from 5 7/8" to 8 3/4" L. Provenance note: Acquired by descent from the estates of Robert William Hardwick (1849-1883) and Thomas W. Hardwick (1824-1888).
The Collection of Dr. Joe Newsom Rawlings, Davisboro, Georgia. Additional provenance information in description.
Several pieces monogrammed. Scattered minor wear, mostly to tips of some bowls and tines, and tiny dents and scratches, overall good to very good condition.